The Peter Andrews Story
What it says
about sound Conservation Culture – see the old site p
Summary Best of all, the program highlights the abhorrent lack of genuine commitment by government to making sure the talk is integrated and wholistic . The parts will not define the whole------YET even NOW the ABC and our polys still run and fund first ---the myopic----the myopic first . This particular nonsense has got to stop and a better balance achieved before we can celebrate our progress again .
Isn’t it great that so many Australians have twigged to what Peter Andrews and others of us have been saying about big picture conservation.
Things we already know ( incomplete – any suggestions? ---- send us an email)
· That you don’t always turn to universities for answers
· ( who do you turn to ?------mythbusters at least for some things and some balance ! )
· That too many media and other outsiders treat rural people’s knowledge of less value than a piece of paper .
· You must understand before you experiment .( otherwise you would go broke)
· That this hidden slur on rural people is often a reason our leaders make mistakes; going hunting for answers in places where there are just research budgets , inadequate experience , poor balance and inevitable cul de sacs
· That the above slur and imbalance is totally irresponsible and unnecessary ( sound practice should involve practice surgeons )
· That there are serious environ challenges in our backyards and generations of Australians have been addressing them .
That it is unfair to say that just bec
· It is not the job of the media or even polys to handpick those who they think are acting unsustainably ( whose overweight here----by the way ?)
Things the public needs to know
· Urgency is not the issue . Real competency and commitment ( living with systems ) to training is
· That the enemy is quick fix and its friends ,projection , nimbyism, guilt and false fear ( probably more !)
That solutions are possible but only in a
sustainable practice respecting time and working framework (
no t by listening to the marginal political noisemakers and h
· That its about time we celebrated the progress so far ,
· That its about time we stopped the careless cringeing and targeting of our neighbours.
· That we as a country can fix the problems , if given enough time
That we as a country can help other countries . The tr
· That other countries rural problems mirror our own , which means they are both fixable ( but culture of quick fix must be sat upon across the board )
That much of the darkgreen
movement is about quick fix and builds on
unhealthy elements of power and issue grabbing , projection and guilt in the cities
*(* and therefore should not form part of the bipartisan
Things that our leaders must change
· Too much narrow focus.
Too many CEO (Change Everything Often )
· Too much paper and reflective kindergarten science and technology stuff
· You don’t need to fix environ problems by enshrining legislation closing down industries
· You must respect more the voice of experience and train young people properly in BOTH science AND practice .
to be more c
· That govt must understand the danger for great injustice in ideologically driven political imperatives
· That governments must respect the voice of experience in their own staff ( otherwise the taxpayers money on young Australians in rural health care is wasted )
· That in the struggle for solutions, it’s best to measure twice and cut once .
That land man
· That our leaders/media keep falling for the same quick fix nonsense
· That our leaders must stop presuming , as the press and the preservationists declare” that we must act NOW to change everything”
· That CEO is a dirty word in sustainability terms if it means Change Everything Often.
· That Victorian and Australians generally are making good progress on conservation --
That too much projection of city guilt on
· Australians need to take the lessons they have learnt --- and be less willing to criticizing each other ( esp when its from the comfort of their own backyards ) Careless surgery kills ( Project blue)
That government MUST recognize that nearly all our conservation issues DON”T have to be solved in several years .
Things that experienced production ecologists know ( incl applied geomorph persons)
· Urgency is not the issue . That we as a country do not need to rush in to fix most of the real challenges (Take a process view of soils , carbon .and geology and water etc )
· That much good has already been done in the last century in this country , on these very soils – lessons have been learnt that make many farming systems quite sustainable .
· That its not just science and technology. Its also ownership, respect, knowledge , wisdom and relationships that makes things work and stay sustainable !
· That taking humans out of the picture is not only not an easy option , it assumes they can’t create new sustainable ecosystems .( wrong)
That there is not nearly enough proper training
of people to understand and apply sustainability
· That we as a country can fix many of the remaining problems if given enough time as Australians are prepared to back solutions. WOW!
That , bec
This note is incomplete . Please feel free to email us with relevant suggestions.
For a wider discussion of the health care implications - see Alisiphobia – discuss or ask questions on cuttingedgecare
What is Sound Conservation Culture ?
How ( some questions)
Of course not see New Imperatives for government
· How then does the community support CC? – Training students of environment and friends of custodians . The hardest jobs take consistent effort ,…… not consistent change http://esda.blogspot.com
· What form should CC take ? Regional support, not recipes .Use well known health care models. The diversity of ecosystems require a diversity of solutions. Act local, then you can think global .All effective solutions build from effective practice and process at the local level . http://esda.blogspot.com
Ditch disaster and danger, as decision making times
What communities need in the face of doom and gloom is the voice of objective reason. The big question is – is your government building that in regional areas or destroying it ? http://cuttingedgeconservation.blogspot.com
Our Land ©Ourland 2003
Please advise us of any errors or lack of clarity in the content.