Recognising Conservation Culture
This list is not complete. Nor does it aim to suggest the parts will
define the whole
What is it
- Uses the Precautionary principle 2 Recognizes the high risk of short term
gain and long term pain with those who rush in to solve complex
- Not impatient to change direction, but always
willing to learn . Because the knowledge of cycles takes time and
lots of study, CC can only afford to respect the voice of experience and
- Can predict the future and act to avoid damage
. CC has some idea of what is coming in the future ( droughts and
floods) and how to manage that future.
- Its very efficient CC does what it does
economically and efficiently and without the “constant injections”;
- Stable because , if its working well , its
cyclical . CC is neither a dependant culture, nor a visionless day to
day wasteful one like the drug takers culture now so much more common in
government circles . The advocates of such culture prefer to talk up the
“innovative angle “as justification for their often careless and blind
experimentation and modeling . see
risk of GPBI
- Can be tested and observed . CC works
effectively for very long periods with limited resources and without
damaging those resources..
- Is practiced on a daily basis by country people.
Who then are their friends and critics? http://esda.blogspot.com See CA 102
- Whenever an activity has been carried out
regularly and productively for decades and centuries.
- Like family, its custodians are those with
training, commitment and experience.
- Risk and orientated and confident . Its
confidence about real threats is not common in politics where anticipation
is not always evident and quick fix is the norm . Fractured experience
of constant change outside stable ecosytems undermines confidence, rather
than builds it .
How ( some questions)
- Can we then trust farmers
and other custodians to do the right thing ?
course not see New Imperatives for government
· How then does the community support CC? – Training students of environment and friends of custodians
. The hardest jobs take consistent effort ,…… not consistent change http://esda.blogspot.com
· What form should CC take ? Regional support,
not recipes .Use well known health
care models. The diversity of ecosystems require a diversity of solutions. Act local, then you can think global .All effective
solutions build from effective practice and process at the local level . http://esda.blogspot.com
Ditch disaster and danger, as decision
What communities need in the
face of doom and gloom is the voice of objective reason. The big question is –
is your government building that in regional areas or destroying it ? http://cuttingedgeconservation.blogspot.com
Our Land ©Ourland
Please advise us of any errors or lack of clarity in the